(What's THAT supposed to mean?!)

FLARE: (noun) a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate;
----------- (verb) to burn brightly or to erupt or intensify suddenly.
FLAIR: (noun) a natural talent or distinctive & stylish elegance.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Rewind #27: Ups & Downs


Original air date: 2Sept2010
Have you ever heard the phrase, “The only thing constant is change”? Isn’t that an annoying phrase? I think what’s so annoying about it is its truth. Well life goes on, things are changing and we’ve got a new game plan. As far as my health goes, I’ve had some ups and downs this summer, (kinda like that roller coaster behind me in the picture), and sometimes what we define as an “up” or a “down” is in the eye of the beholder. For example, during mid-July my husband and I were on a two-week trip to TN to visit his family and take part in a spiritual retreat --- it was a GREAT time. However (as it often does), my Behçet’s decided to use that time to come out in full force and thus it ended up earning me an early flight home and 10 days in the hospital. My doctors were all very concerned and immediately started talking about what new (& stronger) meds to put me on, whether to double or triple my current meds (they opted for triple), and how slowly to taper me off some of my flare meds (they opted for the “turtle-out-for-a-Sunday-drive” kind of slow). For a little while we all consoled each other about how terrible it was that it was happening, but then I really tried to look at the situation differently. With eyes of faith. For one, it had been 27 months since I was last hospitalized. That is a RECORD! My average is 8-10 months! Over two years between major flares has been unheard of for me. Second, of the 6 times I have been hospitalized, it was the second most moderate. Not bad, relatively speaking. More blessings about it include: the flare was timed perfectly so that I was able to spend a few days visiting with family and be part of the entire retreat before I had to fly home; God had blessed us with the means to be able to purchase that short-notice plane ticket; I had somewhat of a spiritual breakthrough during the flare that I was able to share with others; and hopefully now my Behçet’s will be fairly quiet so that I can focus on treating my Endo. The biggest thing I was upset about was that the laparoscopy I had *finally* been able to schedule had to be cancelled. It was too close to that major flare for safety’s sake. However, later when I met with my GYN surgeon, she said that it was actually a good thing that surgery was cancelled, since it wouldn’t have been the most beneficial thing for me. The game plan we’ve decided on now is that in late November I will have a complete hysterectomy, and while they are in there they will do what the laparoscopy would have done (look around and cut out and Endo they find.) So, it all worked out! In fact, had I *not* been hospitalized, I almost certainly would have had the lap, and not pursued the better alternative for my treatment. God knew what he was doing all along!!! Ahhhh, don’t I doubt too often??????
When it all boils down, isn’t that where my assumptions usually go? Here’s typical life: (a) I have my heart set on something; (b) something gets altered from how I thought it should go; (c) I assume it’s all ruined. Only LATER do I find out that it really was the best plan after all .... in this case I was blessed to be able to put the pieces together concretely within a matter of weeks, but how many times do I not have the vision of hindsight until months or even years later? And I spent all that time disappointed or doubting, thinking God must not have heard my prayers. At what point will my knee-jerk reaction be to look forward to how God is going to work His blessings in a way even better than I imagined?? I can easily say I’m still smack in the middle of THAT learning curve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment