(What's THAT supposed to mean?!)

FLARE: (noun) a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate;
----------- (verb) to burn brightly or to erupt or intensify suddenly.
FLAIR: (noun) a natural talent or distinctive & stylish elegance.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Rewind #24: Courage


Original air date: 27Apr2010
I have to admit it’s kinda been a tough day. I think I am hormonal, I’m tired, I don’t feel good, and I’m getting really frustrated with my health. I was watching an episode of House the other night and a man who was chronically ill and disabled was diagnosed with a terminal condition, and the doctors were weighing options with him of extending his life with medication, etc., but it clearly would not have been an extension in any quality of life. The man said, “I have been trapped inside this body for so many years now, and I’m just looking forward to getting out of it.” Wow can I relate! Whenever I start feeling down or “claustrophobic” inside this body, and I reminded of just how temporary this situation is. It’s kind of like being in college and having to buy a pretty junky car, just because you have to have *some* kind of transportation but you can’t afford anything nice. So waa-laa, the ‘college clunker’ enters the scene. Why are you able to laugh off a car that you have to enter through the passenger’s door because the driver’s side door was from another car and therefore used a different key - one that you didn’t have? (True story in college there.) Because you know it’s not your ‘forever car’ - it’s just something to get you through right now. Sometimes when we are given something that is too nice, something that someone else worked for and that we ourselves didn’t do anything to earn, how much do we appreciate it? Don’t we take it for granted? Sometimes I feel like the same is true for our bodies. If everything worked just great and never deteriorated, where would the longing be for our heavenly dwelling? A body not made of the dust of the earth? Is that maybe why the young (and healthy) typically take their health and life for granted, but as we age we learn just how mortal and fallible we are? I think that has a lot to do with why the elderly have more longing for that final day -- and personally I’m quite excited about that day. Nobody better be grieving over me! I will be dancing on the streets of gold!
What I do most often when I really start getting down about health and issues of this life is I turn to scripture. God has given us every measure of comfort and hope that we could possibly need! Just this morning I was reading in 2 Corinthians 1: “Praise be to God ... who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” (vs 4) Quite simply, we are comforted so that we may comfort! 
I would like to include some of the scriptures I have found over the last few years that have been an amazing source of encouragement to me, even on the toughest days. Do you ever find yourself getting discouraged in the same ways? Do you know someone else that struggles with health or aging? I pray that these are also a source of comfort to you.
One of the first places I go in scripture is to 2 Corinthians 12, where the apostle Paul talks about the way he struggles with his illness - what he calls the “thorn in his flesh.” Here are verses 7-12:
“Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me - to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of God may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”
Amen! Wow. Every time I read this it practically gives me goosebumps. Paul sums the physical fight up so well - it is definitely a ‘messenger from Satan’ meant to keep us from becoming arrogant. When I think about some of the crazy ways my body can misbehave, I can sure tell you it’s really hard to have much pride at certain times!! 
2 Cor 4:7-9
“But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard-pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.”
2 Cor 4:16-5:10
“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, *1 we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, *2 guaranteeing what is to come. Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith and not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please Him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.”
<<I just love cross-referencing the Bible! It really brings to light how perfect the Word is, and how is must be written by the hand of God. *1 Also see Galatians 3:26-27: “For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” And also *2 see Acts 5:32, “we are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him.” Acts 2:38, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Christ Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Isn’t this *great* stuff?! I just love how it all comes together!>>
As far as me feeling overwhelmed and like I’ve been given more than I can handle, I often find comfort in: “No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide a way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.” (1Cor 10:13) So what is that ‘way of escape’? Paul explains this: “For we do not want you to be unaware, brethren, of our affliction which came to us in Asia, that we were burdened excessively, beyond our strength, so that we despaired even of life; indeed, we had the sentence of death within ourselves so that we would not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead; who delivered us from so great a peril of death, and will deliver us, He on whom we have set our hope.” (2 Cor 1:8-10) So, our way of escape is to put our hope and trust in the Lord! Makes sense to me -- and when I can fully do it, it works every time.
OK, ok, ok ... so I could go on all day with uplifting things from God’s Word! In fact, just in typing all of this out for the benefit of my reader, I myself already feel worlds better. Do you? And do you have any other verses that help you in this kind of time? We all get there from time to time, and it’s up to us to choose either constructive ways to deal with life’s trials or deconstructive ways, which only heap trouble on top of trouble. (Trust me, I tried that route for many years, and it’s just not as productive as it sounds.) :-P 
The final quote that I will share with you is not from the Bible (even though I believe the principle is solidly biblical,) but it was a quote I recently saw on a friend’s Facebook page:
“Courage does not always come with a roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’”
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment