(What's THAT supposed to mean?!)

FLARE: (noun) a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate;
----------- (verb) to burn brightly or to erupt or intensify suddenly.
FLAIR: (noun) a natural talent or distinctive & stylish elegance.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Process or Product?

Well here we are, the days after Christmas. Everyone take a big ol' deep breathe in and out together! There's always a bit of a lull for me the couple days after Christmas, where all the hustle and high-gear  living has come to an abrupt stop and I feel like the middle of a sugar crash. Now don't get me wrong, I still have plenty of projects in mind to do -- but now I am going to shift the focus a little bit. I'd love to work on a quilted project for me. Does that sound horrible? Other than the very first thing I made (a table runner), I haven't sewn anything for myself. And the only reason I made that one for me was because I didn't believe it would be good enough to give to anyone else! (Just for the record, I ended up really liking it - shown here.)
What about you? When you craft and make things, do you tend to make stuff for yourself or for other people more? I promise that's not a trick question, and I won't think you're a terrible person if you make stuff for yourself. ;-) Actually, I think the answer addresses a pretty fundamental difference between the two main kind of personalities in people who make things: those that do so more for the final product, and those who make things for the process of making it. (For example, do you think "I really need curtains. I guess I'll sew something." -or do you think- "I really want to sew - what should I make? How about curtains?") I am *definitely* the latter. I don't mean to say I don't enjoy the finished item - I do -- I just mean that the most important aspect of creating anything is the actual making of it. Maybe that's why I give away so much of what I make? I don't know. But some of my personally happiest time and, more importantly, my "inner peace" times are when I'm sitting at my bench, my work station, my sewing machine, etc., and my fingers are flying as I bring an idea to life. I love the experimenting and piecing and adjusting and problem solving and learning ... and then once it's complete, it's not as interesting to me. It's as if now it is a static object and the energy of its life has stagnated. Maybe that's why metal has been my favorite medium - it never comes to a point where the creative potential is maxed out. I can take a gold shield created in antiquity and alter the design by soldering additional elements to it. I can take an earring made 100 years ago and melt it completely down to make a computer element. Think of all the rubble from the 9/11 disaster -- at first the steel was put together to make skyscrapers. Once an act of terrorism destroyed those towers, the steel lay in twisted heaps on the ground. But they've taken much of that steel and repurposed it into memorials and other uses. Its life never ends! Metal is one of the most fluid and interesting media on this planet! For contrast, think of ceramic. As long as it remains unfired, you can always add water and it will return to a workable mud again. But once it has been fired, the life has been removed from that piece of clay. It is no longer moldable - it is now forever set. How boring! The best you can do is shatter it and grind it down. Man, what a parallel to life, huh? I prefer to be metal - strong & useful, but forever able to be shaped by a Master .... as opposed to a fired piece of clay, unchangeable and single-focused. As long as we remain "unfired" in life, we can be molded and shaped into an ever-improving form. If we remain in the Potter's hands, then we have hope! But once a piece is fired, it's no longer in the Potter's hands ... it sits on the shelf waiting for its determined use.

So, I guess all that to say - the process of making things is what has always been my lifeline. Once I began working full-time as a goldsmith, I noticed I had quit doing many art/craft projects on my own time. But when I had to quit working due to health reasons almost 6 years ago (WOW, has it really been that long??), I noticed within a year that I had an unsettled feeling in me. I just brushed it off for a while as part of my transition, but after a while I realized what was really going on. I was not involved in creating anything. A big part of my psyche had been abandoned, left desolately void. It was not until I made a conscious effort to put my hands to work making things again that I felt peace in that way again. I guess it's never been about the finished product for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment