(What's THAT supposed to mean?!)

FLARE: (noun) a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate;
----------- (verb) to burn brightly or to erupt or intensify suddenly.
FLAIR: (noun) a natural talent or distinctive & stylish elegance.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Rewind#2: Name, Rank & Serial Number

(Original air date: 25Jan10) The basics. Some would call that the “who, what, when, where and how” of a situation. Other times it’s called the jist. Some people simply say it’s an introduction.
But you’re reading my blog. Surely you’re not a stranger to me, right? I guess this IS posted on the “world wide web” ... but some random web surfer in Russia is NOT my target audience. This is geared towards my family and my friends ... so why would I be introducing myself? There’s several reasons .... for one, I just feel it’s a good starting place for this blog ... but more so, I guess it’s because we often take for granted how much we really know about our friends. A little while ago a line of quizzes went around Facebook that people made about themselves, and were called, “How well do you know ____ [insert your name here]?” Each person would make 5 or maybe 10 trivia questions about themselves that they considered to be basic info ... so why were so many of the average scores by even close friends less than 50%? Because what we think of as “basic info” about ourselves really hardly ever comes up in casual conversation. How many of you know where I went to college? What about what my major was? My favorite pet? Some people might know this, but most of you probably don’t. So here goes .... what I consider the basic cliff notes of “ME” .... what someone in the military might understand as just my “name, rank and serial number” - (which is what a soldier is trained to say when captured.)
I was born September 24, 1978 in Reno, NV. I lived in that same house til I moved away to college ... my parents still live there. I graduated from Galena High School in Reno in '96, and from there I went on to graduate from Boise State University with a bachelor's in Metal and Ceramics. I worked for several years as a goldsmith, and loved every minute of it! Up til that point in my life, I had always been an atheist and lived truly for the moment. A year after graduating, I then lived in Atlanta, Georgia, and was in the middle of my second divorce. My life was crumbling, and everything in my life was up for re-evaluation. For the first time ever, I decided to look into all the “hype” about God and the Bible - which I had always denounced fiercely, yet never actually read. Once I opened the pages of the Word, my life immediately came into clear view and I realized what I needed to do. On March 16, 2003, I was baptized into Christ and began an entirely new life, raised as a new creature. Praise God! I was then (& still now) living in Yuba City, CA, where I worked as a goldsmith an had a nice little life with my own apartment and being very active with the church. Well, God had better plans for me, and soon introduced me to the man who is now my husband - Danny - a Master Sergeant in the Air Force - and we were married on Jan 8, 2005. Well, another big surprise was brewing, and soon I was diagnosed with Behcet's Disease. Within a couple short years I was forced to quit working due to my health struggles. (We never can plan our lives, can we??) Danny retired from the AF in early 2008, and started his own photography business - McNeal Photography.

Now we spend all of our time together, working our best for the Lord and simply enjoying life. My most recent "adventure" is having been diagnosed with Endometriosis, and so now we are pursuing the treatments for it. These are big decisions that are literally going to affect the rest of my life. Right now much of my focus is on trying to decide which way to go -- which are some big factors that aren’t easy to weigh ... but there will be much more on that in other posts, I’m sure. 
So, I guess that's me in a nutshell! Now you at least know the cliff notes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment