(What's THAT supposed to mean?!)

FLARE: (noun) a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate;
----------- (verb) to burn brightly or to erupt or intensify suddenly.
FLAIR: (noun) a natural talent or distinctive & stylish elegance.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Rewind#1: Getting Set Up

(Original air date: 23Jan10) Well here I am, certainly no jet-setter ... I am joining the world of online blogging at a point when many people literally have years of entries in their archive! Choosing to start a blog at this point is, as I believe most things in life are, at just the right time. This is an outlet I need and a connection I desire, which will hopefully carve out a niche much deeper than Facebook, different than email, but certainly no replacement for all those deep conversations that happen over a great cup of coffee at wee hours of the night. Blogging is an adventure and a style of communication all its own .... and here we go! I have some hopes and some thoughts and even a few plans of what I’d like to include in this blog ... but mostly I look forward to the identity that is created along the way. I want this blog to have the freedom to morph from one identity to the next ... which I guess will meet the needs from one situation to the next. I will pay close attention to my grammar and spelling and punctuation (trying always to remember if the question mark goes inside or outside the quotes, and when to use “effect” and when to use “affect”,) but the bottom line is, this is not intended to be a discourse about English composition! I hope that you can bear with me as all the days I skipped English class to go hang out in the Metals or Ceramics studios become quite clear ...... so to my readers who excel FAR more than me at those topics (you know who you are!) - I apologize in advance and ask for your patience. :)
Since this blog will follow and document certain parts of life, it’s natural to assume that we will cover all kinds of topics! This blog will likely reflect the areas that are most important in my life, which all center around relationships: first and foremost is my relationship with Christ. How the day He entered my life forever changed everything about me, and why I will NEVER be the same; my relationship with my husband -- why a man who knows he is “second-best” in his wife’s eyes knows that is the best place he can be ... why he desires to have a wife who will always put God above her husband; and also my relationships with my two families -- my family by my parents’ blood, and my family by the blood of Christ. I am SO grateful for the love and support that both of these families has given me over the years. And I have to admit that it is only in recent years that I have REALLY grabbed ahold of those relationships. My family has always been there for me ... giving me much more help & support than I had ever returned with gratitude ... yet it has been a recent chapter in my life where I have wholeheartedly embraced that. Why? Well, the selfishness of youth is the best reason I can give. I don’t think my experiences and feelings were any special phenomenon among teens & early 20-ers, but I am not using that as an excuse. I simply took these people for granted for too many years. For way too long I saw relationships as tools in a tool belt - they sat there patiently waiting for you to realize they were useful at a particular time, and then I’d pull them out of the bag, apply them to the problem at hand, and when the crisis was resolved I would clean them off and put them back in storage until the next crisis would surface. I now realize how selfish an outlet like that is, and I pray that I am now seeing myself as a tool in THEIR bag, trying to be useful in their live (for a change) ... basically embracing the mutual nature of any relationship that is built to last.
So here we go, you and me - off into the wild blue of the world of blogging! Get a fresh mug of coffee, pull up a comfy chair, and let’s go solve the world’s problems together!! :) God bless!  

No comments:

Post a Comment