(What's THAT supposed to mean?!)

FLARE: (noun) a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate;
----------- (verb) to burn brightly or to erupt or intensify suddenly.
FLAIR: (noun) a natural talent or distinctive & stylish elegance.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Crochet: Beginner's success!!

Well, I can now say I know how to crochet! In fact, like I told Danny last night, my crochet knowledge now probably matches my knitting knowledge. I could go back and forth with the same stitch and make a bookmark, washcloth, or scarf (which are all basically the same thing, just in a different scale!) So here's my progress so far:

Woohoooo!!!! A chain stitch followed by the single crochet stitch (which, for crazy reasons, in the UK is called the double crochet. Weird.) But really, the main reason I wanted to post about this was to give a HUGE shout-out to the blog that's helping me learn this. The author is amazing! She has posted a whole "Crochet School" for free, just to be helpful. I think she hits every learning style possible - she writes out all the instructions, has illustrations, and has even made videos looking over her shoulder while she crochets. What else could you need? So, for your help, I will post the two videos she made that have been the most useful for getting started. Here is how to do the chain stitch:


How to make the chain stitch - for right-handed students from Craftyminx on Vimeo.
(If you are left-handed, she has also posted a video for that -- which, ingeniously, is the right-handed video flipped!)
Here is how to do the single crochet stitch:


The Single Crochet Stitch - Right Handed Version from Craftyminx on Vimeo.
(Or, for lefties, on this page.)

Anyway, when I find something great I like to share it, so there you go!!! Happy crafting!! I'd love to hear if any of you are going to give crochet a try - or if there's something else you're working on learning. Believe me, even though I was kind of intimidated, it really was very easy! I got it my first try. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment