(What's THAT supposed to mean?!)

FLARE: (noun) a burst of light used to communicate or illuminate;
----------- (verb) to burn brightly or to erupt or intensify suddenly.
FLAIR: (noun) a natural talent or distinctive & stylish elegance.

Monday, June 29, 2015

On Being a Christian & Supporting Marriage Equality

If you are anything like me, you're pretty tired of your social  media newsfeed right about now. Not only are 95% of the posts about the same topic for several days now (which gets very old), but regardless of the poster's view, a vast majority of those posts are full of angry, hateful, and immature ways of discussing their opinion. Many people who believe in the legalization of gay marriage are calling those who disagree with them all kinds of ugly names and are being very judgmental. Many people who believe in maintaining laws in support of traditional marriage often call those who disagree with them all kinds of ugly names are are very judgmental. It's times like this I'd rather go spend my time watching my grass grow (or, since we're in a drought, it's more like watching it die) than spend another minute on social media.

So, with all that being said, I realize I'm adding just one more match to the existing bonfire of posts about this topic -- and I hesitate to do so. The only reason I've finally decided to write this is because I would like to share a view that has gotten very little press (at least that I've seen). In fact, to date I've only seen one other article with a similar view.

Put simply, I believe that the question "What should be legal?" is not synonymous with the question "What dis/pleases the Lord?". There are plenty of things that are legal in America that are not pleasing to God, and most Christians I know are fine with that. To cut to the very root of my thinking, let me pose a scenario for your consideration. (This is especially for my Christian brethren who believe that gay marriage should not be legal because God condemns the homosexual lifestyle.)

Imagine that our government decides that the Constitution is perhaps outdated and irrelevant to our current day & culture, and therefore they want America to vote on whether or not to keep it - in whole or in part. So every bit of the Constitution, the Amendments, and the Bill of Rights are up for vote. 

First on the chopping block is the First Amendment, which states:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The question before you, dear American citizen and Christian, is whether or not the United States should continue being governed by the First Amendment. On one hand, you depend on the First Amendment in order to be able to freely worship Jehovah as you see fit, and to peaceably assemble publicly with other Christians to do so. This is, of course, a good thing. However, this same amendment guarantees the right of every other American citizen to gather together and worship whatever god they see fit in whatever lawful way they deem appropriate. The law that protects your right to worship Jesus is the same law that protects the Muslim's right to build a mosque and worship Allah, or the Hindu to worship Vishnu, or the atheist to worship no god at all.

So seriously consider this question: Should a Christian defend the right of a non-Christian to worship whatever false god they choose, even though idol worship is an abomination to Jehovah? 

Why or why not?

Because to me, all of the logic that is used to defend the freedom of any religion in America must be used to defend the freedom of any adult, consenting couple to marry. I have yet to hear a single argument defending the First Amendment that cannot (and in my opinion, should not) also defend marriage equality.

As I have said before, I believe the question of "What should be legal?" is not synonymous with the question of "What dis/pleases the Lord?". 

We do not live in a country (and I would not support such a country) who seeks to legislate the standards of the New Covenant.  We live in a country - and I thank the Lord for it - that protects and defends the free expression of the individual. We live in a free country, not a Christian one, even if the majority of citizens claim Christianity. Not since God's nation of Israel before the birth of Jesus Christ has God set forth laws for a nation that apply to all residents and "all foreigners living among you." Never once did Jesus Christ, nor his apostles, try to change the government to mimic the standards that God sets forth for his people. There is a way to make laws for the nation based on morals and not on religion -- even though as a Christian, I believe all morals have their root in God. (But that topic is too big for this post!)

Besides, it's all fun and games to make laws based on religion until your religion is no longer the majority.

It is legal in this country for a celebrity to marry someone and divorce just 72 days later, even though most Christians would say that grieves God. It is legal in this country (and in fact encouraged) to feverishly pursue wealth and fame, greedily clamoring for luxurious material goods and prestige, even though such arrogance and greed is an abomination to the Lord. It is legal in this country for me to get drunk in my home every single night, even though the Lord condemns drunkenness.

And on and on and on.

The full breadth of my thoughts on this issue are way beyond the scope of a single blog post, with so many branches that it might take a book to cover all of them. And I'm not here to convince anyone to see things like I do; just to submit another point of view for consideration. I understand that many of my brothers and sisters vehemently disagree with what I am saying -- and that's ok to me. I encourage respectful discussion (not heated debate) on all topics, since that is how we learn from one another. I haven't always seen this issue in this way - and who knows? - in another year or two I might see if differently yet. I am extremely thankful that what binds God's people together is solely the precious blood of Christ, not how we see different political, social, or doctrinal issues. Thank God.

To me it all comes down to this: I believe in a free country. A country where straight and homosexuals couples can marry and divorce; where everyone has their choice of whether to worship Jesus in a megachurch or a simple house church, or whether they worship a different god or no god at all; where companies can reserve the right to refuse service to anyone (even if I disagree with their reasons), where I can choose to give my money to companies I support and not spend it on companies with whom I disagree; and where all people have the equal opportunity to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Call me old-fashioned, but:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
-- Beatrice Evelyn Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment